Saturday, February 20, 2010

Taking a Bath

Floating in bubbles
Warm body weightless and raw
Spring's new beginnings

Typically when I want to escape but my brain is jumbled with thoughts about work or big projects, I watch a movie online. While in Budapest I discovered the luxury of taking a hot bath with lavender oil, a cup of tea or glass of wine (depending on the time), and a good movie. All of your anxiety fades away and you are suddenly in a wonderful new realm. This morning I’m escaping by writing. Mark will be so pleased!

This week we are staying at the home of Mark’s former employers (Brooks & Brooks) and hanging out with Lilly and Recon. Lilly is a rather plump black & white, boots style cat while Recon is a gorgeous, black lab. They live in a rustic home on 10 acres of wooded property. It is like being on retreat.

I LOVE DOGS and other animals. Since our cat Cali died, it has just been the two of us. We tried fostering a kitten (Bleu later named Hamish) but became too attached. We aren’t in a position to adopt a permanent companion so we offer to pet sit friends’ animals.

Pets offer loads of adventure. Yesterday morning I ran out to rescue a squirrel from a determined Recon who wanted to play (I hope!) with it. I was too late. Recon’s little face was bloodied and the squirrel, well, it is in a better place with loads of nuts. The last time we were here we had a run-in with an opossum. No one was hurt thank goodness. The time before, Lilly had an infected tooth (and bad breath) and Recon went on TOO long of a walk by herself.

Mark and I will be well prepared for home ownership by the time we buy. Staying at various homes either as guests, renters, or sitters, we have experienced a range of conveniences. For example, double sinks in the bathroom are a nice touch but Mark always gravitates to the sink I’m using so we may as well have just one big sink. A double shower on the other hand saves time and hot water (no more arguing over that!). A professional stove is definitely worth the purchase but a fancy coffee maker doesn’t make better coffee. A dressing room with lots of natural light and space for sorting shoes . . . WOW! Several sitting rooms, however, seem like a waste of space. Fireplaces are the best, drafty doors and windows should be replaced. 10 acres are incredible . . . if you can still walk to the college library and bookstore and grocer and saloon and coffee shop and . . .

It will be quite some time before we settle down I think so the list has time to build. Eventually I’d like a place that can be filled with friends and family on any given night. A place where children bring their friends just to hang out and where there is a little room with lots of light for writing. And a big bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment